Do You Need to Alter Your Exfoliation Game?
- Posted on: Jun 15 2019
- Leave a response
Exfoliation is the name of the game for youthful, healthy skin. This skin care practice is the act of removing the uppermost layer of skin cells. These are dead and damaged cells that are blocking the surface of the epidermis. In so doing, this layer of cells dulls your complexion and inhibits your skincare products from doing what they’re supposed to.
Benefits of Exfoliation
Exfoliating the top layer of cells from the epidermis can:
- Remove debris from inside pores
- Reduce discoloration and hyperpigmentation
- Diminish sun damage
- Help manage current and future acne flare-ups
- Set the stage for nurturing dry skin
Clearly, exfoliation is something you want to do. The question is, how much exfoliating does your skin really need? For some, the question is how much exfoliating their skin can really handle.
Are You Over-Exfoliating?
An exfoliating routine offers some serious benefits. However, it is possible to over-do it. Signs that you may need to scale back on your skin-buffing include:
- Your skin is dry to the point of peeling or dry patches.
- You’ve got an excess of oil, which indicates that production has become unregulated.
- You’re experiencing increased breakouts. Too much exfoliating can diminish the skin’s protective abilities against free radicals and bacteria.
- Your complexion has become redder than normal. Redness right after exfoliating is normal. Redness that lingers for a day or more is not.
- Your skin feels sensitive or itchy due to inflammation.
- Puffiness may also result from inflammation, stemming from the deterioration of the skin’s protective barrier.
- Your skin looks shiny but isn’t oily. This is particularly common with retinol exfoliation. Shininess occurs due to the fresh new layer of skin cells being ultra-smooth.
Exfoliation is Not One-Size-Fits-All
We’ve established that every person can benefit from exfoliating their skin. We’ve clarified that exfoliation is not something you want to do on the daily unless you’ve chosen an ultra-gentle technique. How do you know which level of exfoliation is right for you? Ask an expert!
At Always Beautiful, we prioritize results. To get the best results, we tailor treatments to each client’s skin after conducting a thorough evaluation and consultation. We can help you understand your skin’s needs and also perform a professional exfoliating treatment to jump-start your cellular renewal process.
Schedule a visit to our Aurora office at (720) 280-7016.
Posted in: Medical Skincare