Has Acne Left You with Spots? Here’s What You Can Do!
- Posted on: Jul 15 2019
- Leave a response
Acne breakouts are more than an immediate annoyance. For many people, the severity or persistence of acne also creates concern related to spots and scars. In addition to having a strong desire to clear active acne, many of the people we meet express a desire to remove lingering discoloration that only reminds them of a condition they would like to forget. Here, we offer a few proven ways to do that.
Daily skin care is an important aspect of maintaining acne-free skin. Certain ingredients have been proven effective for reducing the risk of future breakouts and also for correcting discoloration on the epidermis.
- Salicylic acid is a natural compound that is included in many cleansers and serums. This gentle acid helps clear away dead skin cells, dirt, and other debris that may accumulate and clog pores. Salicylic acid also has a soothing component that can reduce redness and promote tissue healing.
- Retinoids are known for their anti-aging benefits. Some retinoids can also enhance cellular regeneration and reduce the inflammation that results from acne. One word of caution about retinol products: they can create sun sensitivity so much be used alongside a quality sunscreen.
- Alpha hydroxy acid. There are various AHAs that are used in skin care products, all of which have a mild exfoliating capacity. This facilitates the cellular turnover that is necessary for spots to lighten over time.
In addition to using quality products at home, people with acne scarring or lingering discoloration may consider professional treatments. Those that are conducted in a clinical setting can augment the results of home care, clearing the skin more quickly and efficiently.
- Chemical peels are customized to address varying concerns, including acne and acne scars. This treatment can range from superficial to deep, depending on personal preferences. The mildly acidic substance that is applied during a chemical peel dislodges the cells that make up the outermost layer of the skin so they can slough off more quickly.
- Dermal filler injections are known for reducing lines and wrinkles, but these products also offer benefits to people with depressed acne scars. By inserting hyaluronic acid or another biological substance, a dermal filler raises depressed tissue to the surface. This treatment does not improve skin color and also does not last indefinitely. However, patients do enjoy results for up to 2 years.
- Microneedling is a gentle collagen-inducing treatment that is conducted using a topical anesthetic. The depth of micro-injuries created during treatment stimulates a healing response in which collagen is increased. Collagen is the protein that the body makes to heal cuts, scrapes, and scars. By stimulating increased production, microneedling accelerates this process.
Let us help you love your skin. Call our Aurora med spa at (720) 280-7016 to schedule your consultation.
Posted in: Acne Treatment